Thursday 21 June 2012

I love Singleton Park!

First I wanted to start out by sharing my good news that the UK has decided not to kick my out of the country the day my internship ends.  The embassy said they would amend my visa and issue a new end date!! Good news.  Now I don’t have to find a way to leave the country and come back within one day (although if I could have gotten a group to go with me to Dublin it could have been fun!).  A big thanks to Siew Oh in the International Student Advisory Service Office!! She was so wonderful to work with from the beginning.  So kind and helpful, and obviously very effective J 
Having interned in the International Students and Scholars Office at Iowa State, it was quite an interesting experience being on the other side of things.  I now understand how the international students feel at Iowa State, and why there is often a sense of urgency and even panic.  Luckily, my situation has worked out quite well!  That is, as long as I get my passport back in time :-/
My lesson for today was to remember to always take the time to explore.  I have walked through Singleton Park on my way from campus to the city centre almost daily but have never gone anywhere else in the park until today.  It was so nice out that I decided to go for a walk during lunch and started wondering around Singleton Park.  I didn’t really realize how big it is, and how beautiful it is, especially when the sun is shining!! 


Singleton Park
There was a cute little pond, some wood carvings of mushrooms, and a bunch of little walking paths.  I didn’t feel like I was in Swansea while I was walking around.  There was an old man feeding a bunch of squirrels, which I’m usually not a big fan of squirrels, but I found it amusing.  I always wonder how people decide to start doing things like that.  


Another view of Singleton Park


Another beautiful area I discovered the other day was the gardens on the side of the Abbey opposite the stable building that I work in.  There is a nice fountain and some well tended flowers overlooking a huge yard that takes you all the way to the road, across which is the beach.  These would all be great areas to study, or play sports (too bad I am athletically challenged). 
Fountain by the Abbey
Gardens by the Abbey
Things that are more difficult than they should be:
• Typing on the keyboard.  This isn't really that difficult, but the keyboard is unnecessarily different.  I don't know who changed it, but they shouldn't have.  The most annoying difference is that the " and the @ are in opposite positions on the keyboards, and every time I get used to the UK layout at work then I come home and type the wrong thing on my laptop. 

Fun Phrases:
“Shattered” or "Knackered" just means tired
“Pissed” if someone says they are pissed it does not mean they are angry, it means they have had too many alcoholic beverages

No comments:

Post a Comment