Wednesday 6 June 2012

The Jubilee Weekend (Part I)

The timing of the Jubilee could not have worked out any better.  This last weekend was a four-day weekend because of the Jubilee, and it couldn’t have been better timing. 
SATURDAY: My husband, Brett, arrived on Saturday for a two-week visit, so it was very nice to have the extra time off.  Since I didn’t have anything to do on Saturday before he arrived at 6:45pm at the train station, I decided I would just walk there from my flat in the student village... in retrospect maybe not the best idea I’ve had here.  It was nice to see some new parts of Swansea.  There were some lovely houses, many decorated with Union Jack decorations, but it was a LONG walk and it doesn’t help that I have the worst sense of direction of anyone in the world, so my path ended up looking something like what is below, which according to Google Maps is about 4.5 miles.  I would suggest taking a walk some day, but maybe take a map with you!
My very long walk from the student village to the train station.
Luckily the weather was pretty good, and after killing a little time in the city center, I made it to the train station.  As I waited, I watched hundreds if not thousands of Swansea rugby fans get off the train after spending the day in Cardiff watching Wales beat the Barbarians 30-21.  I definitely would have been there if I could have.  
Photo from: WalesOnline.co.uk
(http://www.walesonline.co.uk/)
Since the Swansea train station is very small, I easily found my husband once his train arrived, and we grabbed a taxi back to my flat (there was no way I was walking any more).   We were going to go out for a little while that night, but after walking in the rain to the bus stop and waiting about 10 minutes we decided to just go across the street to the Toby Carvery for dinner (which was really good, and a LOT of food) and then call it a night.   

SUNDAY: Sunday was a rainy day, but we ventured out to the city center, and due to the rain on Saturday, Brett realized his shoes were not at all good for the rain. So we found some cheap shoes and a rugby jacket that he wanted, and enjoyed a cup of coffee at Starbucks.  Sunday evening we went back out for a pint at the Bryn Y Mor, so Brett could meet some of the wonderful people I’ve gotten to know over the past few weeks.

Fun phrases:

"Top" sort of like saying "great".

"Lush" and "Posh" means high quality, stylish, fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment